Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Three Food Tips

I.
I'd heard some internet murmurings that Soup Burg, a nondescript diner on the Upper East Side that I had walked by many times without taking notice, justified the second half of its name by serving a mighty fine burger.  I have confirmed that these rumblings are true.  The patty is big, loosely packed, and if you order it on the rare side, there's a nice contrast between the crisp char on the surface and the super-juicy pink center.  If that last sentence sounded at all sexual, I apologize.

II.
If you're looking for a way to liven up a bland Chinese takeout meal, might I suggest stirring in a small spoonful of Indian pickle (say, a nice mango chili).  Transformative.

III.
Pickled turkey gizzards, straight out of the jar, may not sound appetizing, but you might be surprised.  I was.  They're a highlight of the excellent "bar snacks" menu (consisting mostly of pickled things in jars) at The Old Fashioned in Madison, WI.  This place packs 'em in, and with good reason.  If you find yourself in Madison, go and drop a buck on a gizzard.  You won't be sorry, and even if you are, you've only blown a dollar on the experiment, and you can tell people you ate a pickled turkey gizzard.  Worth it for the anecdote alone.  Also, this place lets you add braunschweiger to any sandwich for $1.25 - as a Midwestern German-American, this almost brings tears to my eyes.  As much I as like this place, I still have to say that the namesake drink, a Wisconsin tradition, is an abomination, a warped bastardization of one of the foundational classic cocktails.  They should just call the drink a Badger, and I'd be OK with it.

No comments: