Monday, April 20, 2009

Netflix Navel Gaze

Via a link in this Slate article, I came across a Netflix history analyzer. I was a little afraid to try it out, afraid of finding out that it would have been cheaper to have patronized a good local video store all these years. I've always had a sense that I wasn't watching enough movies from Netflix to "get my money's worth".

So, the results were somewhat heartening, especially considering that I got a bunch of things from Netflix that I would've been unlikely to find at a video store. Here are the highlights of the analysis that was generated from my rental history:
  • You've rented 334 DVDs over 72 months from April 25, 2003 to March 31, 2009.
  • Your average price per rental was approximately $3.88 each. [My local vid store charges $4]
  • You kept each rental for around 18 days on average.
  • The longest you kept a single DVD was 306 days.
  • You rented about 5 DVDs each month.
The movie I kept for 306 days? David Lynch's Lost Highway. I watched and returned 31 other discs before getting around to it. I guess it took me a while to get in the mood.

No comments: