Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Eaten Lately, NYC (#3 in a Series) - Donut Pub

On my first morning back from vacation, I finally tried a place I'd been wondering about for a long time, The Donut Pub on 14th & 7th in Manhattan. I'd seen it cited as one of NYC's best for donuts, and the name is an attention-grabber (though I wish someone would open a real donut pub, with a liquor license). I'd never been in the neighborhood when I was in the mood for donuts, though, until this morning.

To render a full verdict, I'll need to return for more extensive sampling, but I think I can safely say that Peter Pan's place as my donut gold standard is safe for now. Donut Pub's plain, unglazed old-fashioned was good, but if Peter Pan's is a 100, DP's is about a 75 or 80. Slightly less dense in the middle and slightly less crisp on the outside than PP's old-fashioned, it made for good dunking but just didn't quite reach the pinnacle of fried dough.

I also tried a biscuit, mostly because I was surprised to see it. It was OK, more spongy than crumbly (not a good thing, IMO), but you can't judge a donut place on the quality of a biscuit. Next time I might opt for something glazed, dipped, or filled. The choices in this realm seemed very promising.

Bonus Links

An '07 article on The Donut Pub

The king of NYC donut blogging

A Serious Eats NYC donut round-up with some great pics

No comments: