Monday, July 6, 2009

Quote of the Day - "an encyclopedia, just from one tune"

I hadn't read this wonderful multi-part interview and listening session with drummer Paul Motian when I wrote a post about his trio with Jason Moran and Chris Potter, or I would've linked to it at the time. Motian comes across as open, honest, funny, and full of some pretty profound insights. I think I understand some things about music, and especially about Motian's approach to music, that I didn't before I read this interview.

This is just one of many highlights, but one that really grabbed me:

"If you had to sit down, you'd probably have to be a computer if you tried to put down on paper or in words what is actually going on during a piece of music. You'd probably fill twenty f***in' volumes, it'd be an encyclopedia, just from one tune, if you start actually putting down exactly what thoughts are happening… you know what I mean? It's not so simple. Sometimes the simpler it sounds the more complicated the sh*t is."

No comments: