Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ebert in Esquire

So, the Esquire profile of Roger Ebert I read yesterday is really sticking with me.  I keep thinking about it.  I don't think it's necessarily a great piece of journalism, but the material, the story itself, is just very compelling stuff.  Especially if, like me, you've been keeping up with Ebert's blog. 

I suppose the story could be made into some kind of rote, trite inspirational thing, but the details of it, and Ebert's own personality, keep that from happening.  Or more specifically, they keep it from becoming trite.  Ebert is, in a real, non-trite way, inspiring.  I certainly recommending reading the profile, but more than that, I recommend Ebert's blog (on which he's now posted a response to the profile).  Anyone with even a trace of Anglophilia should find his recent pieces on London hard to resist.   

No comments: